This policy describes how Sephora USA, Inc. (collectively, “Sephora”, “we”, “us” or “our”) collects, uses, and shares the information we obtain from you online and in store.
> What We Collect
> How We Use Your Personal Information
> How We Share Your Personal Information
> How We Protect Your Information
> Your Choices
> Communicating With Us
> Changes To This Policy
The following are examples of the personal information that we collect:
|Activity||Examples of Personal Information Collected|
|Registering on our website||Name and e-mail address|
|Purchasing on our website||Name, credit card number, billing address, shipping address, and phone number|
|BI Membership||Name, full birthday, telephone number, mailing address, and e-mail address|
|Sweepstakes and contests||Name, e-mail address, and age|
|Submitting product reviews or using interactive services||Name, e-mail address, birth day and month, nickname, photographs, personal images, and beauty profile information you provide such as hair colour and eye colour|
|Product Availability Notifications||Name and e-mail address|
In addition to the above, we may use the following technologies to automatically collect information about your activities on our websites.
Note that we do not intentionally collect any personal information from children under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, you can look at our websites, but you should not make a purchase, register, or submit personal information to us.
Sephora primarily uses the personal information that it collects to provide you with products, information, and services. We may also use your information to track your purchase history and to contact you for account and promotional purposes. You must create a registration profile in order to send an e-mail to our Beauty Advisor, post a product review or make a purchase on our website. We may also use your personal information for other legitimate business purposes, including to detect and prevent fraud, to collect amounts owing to us and to maintain business records.
Sephora may share your personal information in the following circumstances:
• Corporate affiliates. Sephora may share certain personal information with its affiliates, such as Sephora Canada Beauty, Inc. or joint venture partners like JCPenney, as described below.
• Service providers. We may share your personal information with companies that perform services for us, such as fulfilling orders, delivering packages, sending postal mail and e-mails, analyzing customer data, providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments, investigating fraudulent activity, conducting customer surveys, and providing customer service. We share U.S. client e-mail activity data with Epsilon Data Management, LLC (“Epsilon”) to help Epsilon better target e-mail deployments to consumers for marketing purposes. While Epsilon has a license from Sephora to use e-mail addresses and e-mail activity data in its application, Epsilon does not share e-mail addresses or any specific e-mail activity data with other third parties (although Epsilon may share aggregate/non-specific activity data). Should you wish to opt out of this sharing, you simply need to opt out of e-mail communications from us.
• JCPenney. If you apply for a BI Membership, or use your BI Membership, at a Sephora Inside JCPenney store that is operated by JCPenney, we may share your personal information with JCPenney. We may also share your personal information with JCPenney in the event we suspect you are violating our terms or engaging in fraudulent behavior as it relates to our business. JCPenney has agreed that any information that it collects in this manner will be used only to administer the Beauty Insider Program, for internal analysis to make your shopping experience better, to monitor fraudulent or suspicious behavior, and to help us communicate with you better.
• Social Networks, Widgets, and Plug-ins. If you use any features made available to you on our website by a third party it may result in information being collected or shared between us and the third party. For example, if you use Facebook’s “Like” feature Facebook may register the fact that you “liked” a product and may post that information on Facebook.
• The public. Sephora may share the personal information that you submit through one of our interactive services, like Ratings & Reviews, with the general public or our affiliates.
• Other instances. Sephora may share your personal information in order to protect the legal rights of our company, our employees, our agents, and our affiliates, to protect the safety and security of our visitors, to detect and protect against fraud, or to comply with law or legal process.
• Business transition. Sephora may share your personal information with another company that buys some, or all, of the assets or stock of Sephora, and that company may use and disclose personal information for purposes similar to what is described in this policy. Sephora may also share personal information with prospective purchasers to evaluate the proposed transaction.
Sephora may share de-identified information (i.e., information that is not directly connected to your name) in the following circumstances in addition to those identified above:
• Aggregate information. We may share de-identified aggregate information about our customers with advertisers and marketing partners.
• Behavioral-based advertising. A third party may use technology (e.g., a cookie) to collect information about your use of our website and other websites so that they can provide advertising about products and services tailored to your interest. That advertising may appear either on our website, or on other websites.
We realize that our customers trust us to protect their personal information. We take that task seriously and maintain reasonable and appropriate physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to help protect your personal information. While we attempt to protect the information in our possession, no security system is perfect and we cannot promise that information about you will remain secure in all circumstances.
You have the following choices with how your information is used:
|Your Options||What you need to do|
|Updating or Correcting The Personal Information Relating To Your Account||You can update or correct your name, e-mail address, security questions, and other preferences by logging into your account and clicking on the “My Account” page, calling 1-877-SEPHORA, or visiting a Sephora or Sephora Inside JCPenney store and speaking with a representative.|
|Receiving newsletters and promotional e-mails||You can click on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any promotional e-mail that you receive. You can also edit your e-mail preferences on your “My Account” page. Please call 1-877-SEPHORA to discontinue receiving material by mail.|
|Behavioral Based Advertising||You can opt-out of some, but not all, online behavioral based advertising by clicking here or by using your browser settings to block cookies or notify you when a cookie is set.|
|Remove content from user review||You can remove content that you posted on a Sephora public space, such as part of a Ratings & Review, by e-mailing details to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that we will endeavor to honor your request to remove information, however, our removal of your information does not completely erase that information from the internet. For example, historical copies, or “caches,” may remain.|
If you have any questions about our privacy or security practices, or of you would like to request access to or correction of your personal information, you can contact Sephora’s General Counsel by mail, telephone, or e-mail:
Sephora USA, Inc.
Legal Department, Privacy
525 Market Street, 32nd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94105
Your right to access or correct your personal information is subject to applicable legal restrictions. We may take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections.
If we need, or are required, to contact you concerning any event that involves your personal information we may do so by e-mail, telephone, or mail.
Effective as of June 20, 2016.
1. "Cookies" are small bits of information that are placed on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies remember information about your activities on the site to make your visits to our website more enjoyable and valuable to you by providing a customized experience and recognizing your preferences when you visit our website. If you've chosen to disable cookies on your browser, some of the functionality of our website may be lost. Certain of our web page, particularly those that require a login and password, require that cookies be enabled in your browser and cannot be used when you have disabled cookies in your browser.↩
2. Flash cookies (also called Local Shared Objects or “LSOs”) are data files similar to cookies, except that they can store more complex data. Flash cookies are used to remember settings, preferences, and usage, particularly for video, interactive gaming, and other similar services.↩
3. Web beacons are small graphic images on a Web page or in an e-mail that can be used for such things as recording the pages and advertisements clicked on by users, or tracking the performance of e-mail marketing campaigns.↩
4. Web server logs are records of activity created by the computer that delivers the webpages you request to your browser. For example, a web server log may record the search term you entered or the link you clicked to bring you the webpage. The Web server log also may record information about your browser, such as your IP address and the cookies set on your browser by the server.↩
5. Geo-location technology refers to technologies that permit us to determine your location. We may ask you to manually provide location information on our website, or to enable your mobile device to send us precise location information. We may also automatically collect general location information from your web browser.↩